Friday, June 11, 2010

Welcome

For those of you who've stumbled upon this blog, I hope, as I add various articles, thoughts, and links, that you'll be challenged to think, be encouraged, and even be entertained. I'll write from my heart, and it's not always pretty. Sometimes it's raw. Sometimes it's sarcastic. Sometimes it's painful. I promise, though, that it's always real. I've now lived through the most bizarre and traumatic three years of my life, experiencing things I could've never imagined (coming from the stable, loving, Christ-centered background that I do).

I've only recently begun to grieve the loss I've experienced. Due to the outrageousness of the situation, there was no means of closure for me until recently, and even at that, "closure" is a stretch. I'm still processing the grief, visited by all of it's manifestations. Today it's anger. Yesterday it was emptiness. Last week I dealt with the sense of betrayal. It's all very depressing and doesn't really seem to get any better, but none of it has escaped God, and I look to Him to dress my wounds.

In the meantime, I'll be writing about my brush with hyper-fundamentalism here, and writing about how it's reshaped my faith, made me re-examine everything (and I mean everything) I believe and why I believe it - even though I've never been a part of these movements, and made me want to know God in a deeper, more effectual way than I ever have. I'll be addressing the aspects of it, such as Patriarchy and Courtship, that I received a good old-fashioned personal education on - the hard way.

You may not like my opinions, my frank and sometimes aggressive style, or my brutal honesty, but that's fine. I'm a work in progress, and my writing is even more of a work in progress. God is good, and people are people, and I'm people.

14 comments:

  1. I look forward to your perspectives. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you too, Hillary. Thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really looking forward to your perspective. Honesty is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You're writing publicly! Thanks for stepping up, brother. May God richly reward you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems that so many of us have been pushed by pain or injury into this arena of speaking out against the viciousness of patriarchy. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your bride to be. It was heartbreaking to read.

    Jocelyn Andersen
    www.WomanSubmit.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate the encouragement. Thank you. You guys keep writing too;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have enjoyed reading so far! Thanks for being willing to write publicly. :-) Is there any way to get notices by email when you post?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the encouragement, Sharon.

    I think I remember having seen a "subscribe by email" link somewhere on the page. Lemme see if I can find it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Lewis!

    I'm so excited to see that you started a blog!

    You have so much to contribute and many can gain a great deal of insight through your experiences.

    I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon...I've had no luck in coming up with an answer to your email question. Sorry, sis. Maybe someone more technically savvy can chime in and let us know if it can be done.

    Cindy...Thanks for the encouragement. I'll probably be linking to some of your writing from time to time. Many of you guys have been immeasurable resources of information for me in the last couple of months and make important points with a grace that I lack.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you go to the Gadgets area on your blogger dashboard there should be one that allows people to share or subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Done. Thanks a bunch, Hillary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lewis,

    Though God has plenty of grace to go around which is why we are "under so much," it's funny to read that someone thinks that I can make points with grace! I have good days and I have bad ones. ;)

    And for the most part, I am just reiterating what so many others have given me and the messages they've prepared which have helped me on my own way through what some call "The Dark Night of the Soul."

    Thanks for the kind comment.

    ReplyDelete